Saturday, June 16, 2018

I'm an amateur chef who loves to experiment with odd flavor combos. Tonight I perfected my cinnamon and sugar asparagus!

I tried something weird a few years ago and I knew I had something awesome on my hands immediately. I just needed to find the right way to add the ingredients and at what times and temps.

Again, this is super weird, and you're probably thinking it sounds gross, but try it. They end up tasting almost like sweet asparagus french fries. I can't explain it, but you'll see. They are like high-class candy!

  • Get 10 inch or larger frying pan up to 80% heat (whatever that is on your stove)

  • Add about 3 Tbsp of olive oil. I've tried a few oils over the years and they all give a decent twist on the taste - some of them pretty nice - but old faithful is the best in this case.

  • Add in your asparagus (the typical fistful with rubber bands around it). Sorry I don't have an exact weight, but most grocery stores sell it this way. If you think you got a larger than normal bushel, increase all ingredients accordingly.

  • Lightly fry the asparagus for about 5 minutes until they start turning brighter green.

  • Drizzle balsamic vinegar over the asparagus. I'm usually pretty generous here, maybe a Tbsp or more sprinkled evenly over all the stalks.

  • Lightly fry for another few minutes until it starts to get a bit soft. Add a sprinkle of sea salt.

  • Add a thin layer of cinnamon over the stalks, from head to toe. Do the same with whatever kind of sugar you want. I just used castor sugar so that it would dissolve quicker and cover the asparagus fully, and I think it works the best.

  • Use some tongs and really move the stalks around vigorously, making sure all the ingredients become an even coating over every little crevice. It's all about cooking the asparagus most of the way, and then sealing in the juices with the coating.

  • Finish lightly frying until the stalks begin to wither and the cinnamon/sugar coating begins to char a little bit. Don't let them get too blackened, as the sugar will burn and the taste takes a nosedive. I really wish I just took a picture, but I didn't think of posting until after we ate and my wife and I loved it.

I hope a few people try this and like it as much as we do! It's the first "I could be on to something" recipe I've ever created.

submitted by /u/EroniusJoe
[link] [comments]

0 Kommentarer:

Post a Comment