Saturday, May 30, 2020

recipe request: Mexican street food recipes with no weird "Martha Stewart" touch in them. Street food, basically.

Title says it. My wife really digs Mexican food, but it seems like the top hits on Google always lead me to "Oh, add a touch of Crème Fraîche" or other weird food-y stuff. She just tends to like the regular stuff. For example,

  • For a treat I made her tamales from scratch a few months back -- chicken slow roasted in adobo and stock, packed into masa, wrapped in corn and steamed. We had more dough than stuff, so I made a few more using Oaxaca cheese and beans.

  • We enjoy having our own refried beans. They're just pinto beans simmered for a few hours with garlic and salt. Mash and enjoy.

  • I made "Mexican" toast the other day to use up some stuff we had in the fridge, so basically it was toast brushed with a mayo/egg mixture, re-toasted, and I dropped a spoonful of refried beans, cheese and a blorp of salsa. It was pretty good.

OK so I just watched a video about making tortillas without a press. The lady just made dough balls and mushed the ball under a cutting board. See, that's the kind of stuff we want, just plain stuff someone would have as leftovers, not a big fancy-pants dinner.

submitted by /u/BeaverDelightTonight
[link] [comments]

0 Kommentarer:

Post a Comment