Wednesday, August 23, 2017

Help please - I am looking for a potato and onion dish I once had, likely of Swedish origin?

Hi, Reddit! First time on this sub so apologies in advance if I do anything wrong. I have a recipe question so I hope this is okay!

A few years ago I was staying with a friends' parents (longer story, not relevant here). The guy was a retired opera singer, born in Sweden, who had traveled all over to sing opera. He made lots of recipes that were new to me and I loved - their whole way of eating was wonderful, fancy cheeses and salads instead of dessert, to my American tongue it was a delight.

I wrote down many of the recipes but there's one I did not write down how to make and want to make again. Honestly for all intents and purposes it was most like a large latke - I am Jewish myself - here is what I remember. He grated a bunch of (I think russet) potatoes, and then a bunch of onion, and then added other things I don't remember - eggs? Spices? not sure - and fried it all up in one big pile in a frying pan in lots of oil. Less oil than you'd use for a latke, and this was one GIANT potato pancake, essentially, instead of a lot of little ones. And I CAN remember the name of it, but I've tried googling and I must be spelling or pronouncing it wrong somehow. The word and pronunciation that I remember is "rushke". If I wrote it out for pronunciation it would be like "roosh-keh".

In all likelihood with a little effort I could probably make some amalgamation of the dish - it is, again, basically a giant latke, lol - but it was so good when he made it and I feel like there's a secret I've forgotten and want to remember!

Anyone have any idea what I'm talking about?

submitted by /u/TiredFlower3
[link] [comments]

0 Kommentarer:

Post a Comment