Friday, December 22, 2017

[Request] Looking for tips to recreate ill grandmother's cake.

Hi, everybody.

So over a decade ago, my grandmother taught me how to make this cake that she would make every Christmas and Moon Festival for our family. She would literally spend hours in the kitchen churning out these cakes to give to extended family in the area. One year, she taught me how to make it. But being a kid at the time, I've long forgotten. About a year ago, she suffered a fall and since then, she has not been... all there. This year, I'd like to make the cake for my family, but I honestly have very little experience with baking. So I'm hoping you guys can point me in the right direction or figure out some of the portions for the ingredients. Before I get into the description, I should mention that she was by no means a baker. She grew up in the rural parts of China and probably learned this recipe from her mother and the recipe might seem a little strange...

The ingredients she used were really simple. I remember eggs (not separated), (a lot of) brown sugar, flour, and possibly butter.

The other strange thing is that I remember she used to measure with mugs. Yeah, like coffee mugs. Back when she taught me, she added ingredients in 1/2 mug or full mug measurements into a stand mixer.

I also remember she would pour the batter into a pan and steam it. The result was a really dense, moist, and jiggly cake much like Japanese Cheese Cakes. I know I could just make that for the family, but I'd really like to find a way to preserve this recipe or at least some version of it. I know it's not the best recipe, but it holds a lot of sentimental value for me. I'd really appreciate any help at all.

Thanks so, so very much.

submitted by /u/tehgreatiam
[link] [comments]

0 Kommentarer:

Post a Comment