Wednesday, June 26, 2019

Mango Coconut Mousse (Vegan/Lactose-Free)

Here's the recipe for Mango Coconut Mousse I made last weekend. It's super-easy! I'll add some comments afterwards.

Mango Coconut Mousse

Ingredients:

  • One 850 g can mango pulp
  • One cup coconut milk
  • 1 tablespoon agar powder
  • 1/3 cup water

Directions:

  1. Beat coconut milk in a large bowl with a mixer.
  2. In a small saucepan, heat the mango pulp until it's warm- about the temperature of soup. Add to coconut milk and mix.
  3. In a small saucepan, add water and start bringing to a boil. Sprinkle agar powder in water a bit before it boils and whisk. When it starts to boil, whisk constantly for two minutes, and add immediately to mango/coconut mixture. Whisk constantly for a few minutes.
  4. Pour into serving bowl and let sit on counter to cool, then refridgerate for several hours.
  5. Voilà! Très facile!

Comments:

- This is a modification of a recipe I found at https://veenaazmanov.com/mango-coconut-cream-mousse-recipe/ That recipe uses fresh mangoes that you purée, but I'm not in a mango-friendly country so the purée is the way to go for me. Super easy too! Buy it at an Indian or Middle-Eastern supermarket.

- You're supposed to use "coconut cream"- you put a can of coconut milk in the fridge for several hours, and the cream rises to the top. It didn't work for me so I just used the coconut milk. I bought a 14-oz. can. If you find the mixture is a bit too mango-y, add a bit more coconut milk. I went with 1-1/4 cups.

- You don't taste the coconut at all, as the mango has a strong flavour.

- I've used agar as a thickener before, and got some small lumps. I read that agar starts to congeal as it cools down, so I thought that when it hit the mango/coconut mixture, if that wasn't heated up I'd get a big lump of agar. That's why I heat up the mango pulp. It seemed to work well and wasn't lumpy.

- When you boil the water it evaporates quickly so work quickly with it.

- With agar powder, you have to be really careful with how long you boil it. Two minutes worked well for me- if you boil it longer it's probably really thick, and thinner if you boil it for a shorter time.

Hopefully you enjoy it. I'm going to try chocolate-coconut mousse next weekend :)

submitted by /u/Mike-In-Ottawa
[link] [comments]

0 Kommentarer:

Post a Comment