Sunday, June 30, 2019

Good add-ins for my baked mac and cheese?

I like my recipe, but it doesn't go far enough. I like leftovers, I like cooking enough to feed my family (me, my husband, and a picky toddler) for two dinners. Unfortunately my mac and cheese recipe falls just short of that, so I'm looking for advice on what I can add to plump it up a bit and make it even tastier. Proteins, veggies, whatever is good.

Current recipe:

8oz macaroni noodles

4tbs butter

4tbs flour

1c milk

1c heavy whipping cream

1/2 tsp salt

1/2 tsp pepper

1tsp dried mustard

8oz block sharp Cheddar, shredded

2tbs breadcrumbs

2tbs grated parmesan cheese

Cook and drain macaroni. Melt butter in large saucepan, then add flour, salt, pepper, whisk until well blended. Add milk and cream, stirring constantly. Bring to a boil, boil 2 mins, stirring constantly. Reduce heat and cook 10mins, stirring constantly. Add ground mustard. Gradually add cheese, simmer another 5 mins or until cheese is melted. Toss in macaroni to coat, put in buttered baking dish. Combine bread crumbs and parmesan cheese, sprinkle on top. Bake for 20mins at 400 or until top golden brown.

I also am unsure if I really need to cook the butter/flour mixture for 10 mins, as it feels like a long time and I don't see that sort of duration in any other recipe I've looked at online.

Any ideas? The mustard and parmesan are fairly new additions, so this recipe is open to tweaking. It's pretty good as is, but again, I'd like it to be... more.

Thank you!

submitted by /u/figgypie
[link] [comments]

0 Kommentarer:

Post a Comment