Tuesday, October 29, 2019

Pastry pie crust made with leafy greens

All google wants to give me are recipes for spinach quiches and low-carb green crusts, so I need your pie crust expertise!

I'm trying to make some mini Halloween pies that look like they're filled with brains/guts, and I think it would be neat to make the crust green. Because, you know, zombies. I've also got some extra arugula on hand, so I thought it might be neat to blend it up into a puree and put it in the pie crust. Because greens are so watery, I figured I could use them instead of water in my crust. I'm not concerned about clashing flavors here because the filling is crumbled tofu and tomato sauce.

Here's the ingredients in the pie crust normally: 1 1/4c flour 1/4tsp salt 1/2c butter (Up to) 1/4c water

Do you think this will work? If it will, would it be better to cook the arugula first, or to blend it up raw? Would a roughly 1:1 water:pureed greens substitution work, or could I expect to use substantially more greens?

If the consensus is a no, I'm happy to just use the regular crust, possibly with the addition of green food coloring. It's just that I have leafy greens in my fridge and I think it would taste good!

submitted by /u/podsnerd
[link] [comments]

0 Kommentarer:

Post a Comment