Friday, May 24, 2019

Mother's Chocolate Torte Recipe Lost: Please Help

I'm looking for a recipe for a torte. Here are the key features:

yellow sponge alternating with chocolate frosting that had a fudge-like texture.

Cake batter separated yolks and whites. Yolks were supposed to be beaten with mixer for twenty minutes by the clock. I am not 100% sure, but I believe the whites were used rather than discarded.

Thin, almost crepe-like layers were baked individually and cooled, rather than baking thick layers and slicing.

It was assembled layer by layer. Because of the baking process, it took pretty much all day. The cake layers were not brushed with melted jam or anything, just layered with the fudge.

Mother called it a dobosh torte but it wasn't really. This sponge was, well, "spongier" and the chocolate fudge frosting (of which I recall no recipe details) was really toothsome.

Mother copied it a couple of times for me, but I kept moving and lost it. I figured I'd just get a copy from her cookbook when she died. She died in a house fire, that (ironically) started in the kitchen. Googling hasn't helped me. I'm hoping this sounds familiar to someone.

It was definitely a "home" recipe. We lived in the Detroit area, if region helps.

Thank you.

submitted by /u/tungstencoil
[link] [comments]

0 Kommentarer:

Post a Comment