Monday, July 31, 2017

Homemade Farmer's Cheese.

The way I make Farmer's cheese:

1.Bring 4 cups milk (i use whole, but 2% or skim will work!) to just before a boil.

2.Remove from heat

3.Add an acid (lemon juice or white vinegar) I use around 2tablespoons for 4cups milk.

4.Stir while curds separate from whey.

5.Pour into a cheese cloth(or any fine fabric) covered strainer.

6.Gather ends of cloth, twist to form a little cheese ball bag.

7.Squeeze excess liquid out. (Optional, hang to drip for a few hours. I don't, I just squeeze until I like the consistency.)

8.Open cheese cloth, mix in salt to taste. (I use flaked sea salt. As it's a "dead cheese" iodized table salt is fine)

9.You can now use your hands to shape it, press it with a cheese or tofu press, mix it until creamy to use as cream cheese, or crumble it. Leaving more whey in it will give you a ricotta texture.

This is fast! 10 minutes, from start to finish, and you've got homemade cheese to use anyway you want to use a light cheese.

Good in the fridge for a week. (No live bacteria so you cannot age this cheese. If you want an aged cheese use Rennet in place of the acid and ask someone else, because I'm not that deep into cheese making yet! Lol)

submitted by /u/Pixel_Beans
[link] [comments]

0 Kommentarer:

Post a Comment