Tuesday, August 27, 2019

daikon noodles

Using my mandoline I can make flat wide noodles from daikons, the asian radish. You can fast pickle them in a vinegar, salt, sugar, spice solution and serve them as ban chan (sorta like korean appetizers), or rinse, dry, dress with soy/ginger/garlic/onion/sesame oil. But I have also used them in soups now and they are fantastic.

I made a really good ox tail soup the other day. There was just a small amount left. In my korean stone pot I heated some sesame oil, added some korean chili powered, then some kimchi, then my noodles, and then the left over ox tail soup and topped it off with some store bought chicken broth. Brought it to a boil, cracked in an egg, let it set a bit...

The noodles keep their bite even after a 10-15 minute boil. The pickingling flavors the broth in a pleasant way, and the noodles... well... they are pretty damn good. I'll post up a couple recipe templates sometime soon... but I just needed to share this find. Low calorie noodles that are filling, dont spike the glycemic index (making some people hungrier), taste and feel great.

I've done carrot noodles in the paste and really feel they only shine in my turkey ginger soup. They also dont stand up well to long cooking and break. Also much more difficult to fabricate. I like zucchini noodles, but they also dont hold up to longer cooking and I prefer them in different ways. I dont think they bunch up too much. They still make a great sesame oil + soy cold noodle dish tho. Just not great in a noodle soup.

submitted by /u/DolorSterculius
[link] [comments]

0 Kommentarer:

Post a Comment