Monday, December 30, 2019

Mom's incredible cheesecake

Hi, everybody! Alchemist here. I am a long-time reddit user, and have just discovered this sub. I'm a 32 year old man, and I love to cook, it is one of my favorite things to do. Nothing is more gratifying than watching people enjoy something delicious I have made. This is my first submission here, and I intend to make many more. I love sharing recipes, which surprises people... I believe good food is for everyone, and there is no recipe I want to keep secret (except in situations where I am given a recipe with the explicit instructions to not share it).

I was a chef for many years, I love making dinners. But I also love desserts, and today I will be sharing my go-to dessert recipe for when I want to impress, and to date, it has never failed to be a huge hit. This recipe was passed on to me from my mom, an amazing cook, who got it from her grandmother. Before we get to the recipe, here are a few short points about it:

*The recipe is presented in its original form, but there are two tweaks I sometimes make, which are listed as well. I urge you to try them both.

*This cheesecake is intended to be enjoyed with no topping. Its decadence stands on its own merit. I'm not telling you not to use a topping, but I urge you to try a piece plain before making this decision.

*This cheesecake is not healthy. My mother used to say, "A moment on the lips, a lifetime on the hips." You have been warned.

*The instructions for this recipe may seem oddly specific to you, but there is a reason for this. I can tell you from experience that if you don't follow it as it is written, the consistency and texture will be lacking.

*I will NEVER buy graham cracker crumbs. I do it the way my mother did, by buying graham crackers and crushing them. The best way is to put them in a plastic zipper bag and crush them with a rolling pin or a drinking glass. Any hard, cylindrical object will do the trick. If you opt to use speculoos instead of graham crackers (which I find makes a superior crust) you will HAVE to crush them this way, as you can't just buy speculoo crumbs like you can graham cracker crumbs.

With that said, without further adieu, on to the best cheesecake you've ever had!

Required equipment:

*Handheld electric mixer (stand mixer also will work, but is actually a bit less convenient in my experience)

*10 inch springform pan

Make the crust first:

Ingredients:

*1/4 cup melted UNSALTED butter

*2 tablespoons white sugar

*2 cups graham cracker crumbs OR speculoo crumbs. Speculoos are sold in the US under the Biscoff brand. I recommend speculoos for a more flavorful crust, but graham cracker is the original, tried-and-true crust. Using speculoos is the first of my two tweaks, and the one I use most often, almost every time. The second, mentioned later, is dependent on how I feel that day.

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350° F. Mix crumbs and sugar in a medium bowl. Then add the melted butter and mix thoroughly, being sure to get the mixture consistent. Press the mix into your springform pan, pressing against the sides to a height of about 1 inch or so. Bake the crust for 10 minutes, then remove from the oven and set aside to cool. While the crust cools, mix the filling.

Make the filling:

Ingredients:

*3 8oz packages of cream cheese (total 24oz), left at room temp for about an hour.

*1 1/2 cups white sugar

*4 eggs

*1 tablespoon grated lemon rind OR lime rind. This is the second tweak. Both are equally good in my opinion, and provide different subtleties. This ingredient, regardless of which you use, is what REALLY brings the magic into this recipe. For what it's worth, I recommend trying the original (lemon) first.

*1/2 teaspoon real vanilla extract. To use imitation is blasphemy.

Directions... This is where things get specific. I will put important aspects in bold:

Place cream cheese and sugar in a large bowl. Mix at low speed for 30 seconds to blend, turn up to medium and beat for 1 minute. Scrape bowl with a rubber spatula, and mix at medium speed for 1 more minute. Add eggs one at a time, mixing at medium speed for 15 seconds after each one. Scrape bowl again. Add your grated lemon (or lime) peel and vanilla. Mix at medium speed for 30 seconds.

Pour filling into the springform pan over the prepared crust. The filling will be higher than the top of your crust, this is normal. Bake at 350° F for 45 to 60 minutes, or until it feels firm to the touch. Some slight browning around the edges is normal. Chill in the refrigerator for several hours.

WARNING! MAY BE DEADLY TO DIABETICS!!!

Just kidding. But seriously, it's bad for you. As desserts often are.

I'd love feedback, so please... if you enjoy this cheesecake, have tips, or find a good tweak... message me or comment here. I'd love to hear your opinions.

ENJOY!

submitted by /u/Alchemist011813
[link] [comments]

0 Kommentarer:

Post a Comment