Thursday, December 26, 2019

Matzo brei

I promise the run in here is brief.

My Catholic mother was a mediocre cook at best. My Jewish grandmother couldn't cook at all. Matzo brei still somehow became a comfort food for me, but not the way Mom or Granma made it. That was like eating a styrofoam cookie. Or a hockey puck.

There is one important thing for good matzo brei: one egg per cracker. Everything else is up to you. Here is how I do it.

One, two, or three eggs per person. Three is a lot. Think Super-Size appetite. Beat the eggs with a splash of water, salt, and pepper. Diced onion goes in. To my taste, a medium size onion is about right for two eggs. Crumble the matzo. This works best one cracker at a time. I break them into thirds, stack the thirds, and then smoosh the stack from one end with my hand. If you like hot sauce this is a good time. Mix that all up and let sit for a few minutes. Basically you're letting the cracker soften. Heat a good sized skillet with some vegetable oil and dump in the egg mixture. Let that cook stirring a couple of times a minute. This is how you avoid the hockey puck. Finish with salsa, feta, or both (not kosher).

submitted by /u/SVAuspicious
[link] [comments]

0 Kommentarer:

Post a Comment